Egypt in December 2022
10 December 2022
- Egypt keen to boost strategic relations with China in all domains: Sisi tells Xi (Ahram Online). The Egyptian president expressed his aspiration to boost Chinese tourism to Egypt as well as to encourage Chinese companies to boost their investments in the country, especially in the fields of localizing industrialisation and the transfer of high technology.
14 DECEMBER 2022
- Egyptian army leads new international force in Red Sea – what is the mission? (Mareb Press) “The Egyptian Navy assumed command of Joint Task Force (153), one of the most important joint mechanisms to enhance regional security and stability and confront threats,” army spokesman Colonel Gharib Abdel Hafez said. The statement added that the new tasks assumed by the Egyptian Navy “are represented in combating smuggling and countering illegal activities, especially terrorist activities in the Red Sea, Bab al-Mandab, and Gulf of Aden regions.”
16 DECEMBER 2022
- Egypt seeks US help in reviving Ethiopia dam deal (Iraqi News). Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi on Wednesday sought US help in pressing Ethiopia into an agreement concerning a mega-dam that the parched Arab country sees as an existential threat.
21 DECEMBER 2022
- Egypt, Jordan, and Iraq Pledge to Increase Coordination Amid Regional Challenges (Ahram Online). The leaders of Egypt, Iraq, and Jordan met on Tuesday for consultations on regional political developments and unprecedented threats to the security of the Arab World and the Middle East.
28 DECEMBER 2022
- Al-Azhar Grand Imam Calls on Taliban to Reconsider University Ban for Afghan Women (Ahram Online). Grand Imam of Al-Azhar Ahmed El-Tayyeb has called for the Taliban to reconsider their decision to ban Afghan women from accessing university education, saying the decision contradicts Sharia (Islamic law). In his message, El-Tayyeb said that banning Afghan women from accessing university education contradicts Sharia and conflicts with its call for both men and women to seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave. El-Tayyeb added that the ban overlooked more than 2,000 hadiths (sayings of the Prophet Muhammad) in this regard and also overlooked the historic examples of pioneering women in education, sciences and politics.
29 DECEMBER 2022
- Iranian Regime Claims Egypt is Ready to Reconcile with Iran (Tehran Times). “In light of the mechanisms on which Egyptian foreign policy is based, I believe that Egypt has accepted that there will be negotiation over contentious files with Turkey, despite the apathy in relations over the past years, and the same may be the case with regard to the file of relations with Iran,” stated Egypt’s Ambassador to Iran Ezzat Saad. The CEO of the Egyptian Council for Foreign Affairs stated that Iraq may play a pivotal role in opening the door to consultations between Egypt and Iran.
30 DECEMBER 2022
- Egypt Places Muslim Brotherhood Leaders on the Terrorist List Again (Al Sharq Al Awsat). Egypt has included leaders of the Muslim Brotherhood on the lists of terrorists again. The latest listings, which included a minister and a parliamentarian during the era of former President Mohamed Morsi, came days after an Egyptian court asked authorities in Cairo to place an Interpol “Red Notice” on media professionals loyal to the Muslim Brotherhood.