Yemen in January 2023
06 January 2023
1. Houthis Deploy Missile and Drone Bases to Launch Attack on Yemen’s Coast (Al Hadath). Military sources said that the Houthi militia has deployed bases for launching guided missiles and other bases for launching drones in its areas of control in Hodeidah, and is preparing an attack from the sea on the liberated areas of the coast.
10 January 2023
1. 50 Journalists Killed Since 2011; Syndicate Report: The Houthi Militia once again Tops the List of Violators of Press Freedoms in Yemen (Al Masdar Online). The union said in its annual report for the year 2022, issued on Monday, that it had monitored 92 cases of violations against media outlets, journalists, photographers and their belongings during the past year, while the Iran-backed Houthi militia again topped the list of violators with 40 percent of those violations.
11 January 2023
1. U.S. Navy Thwarts Smuggling of Iranian Weapons to Yemen (:24.ae News). On Tuesday, the US Navy announced the seizure of more than 2,000 assault rifles that were smuggled aboard a fishing boat in a sea lane between Iran and Yemen. “This shipment is part of an ongoing pattern of destabilizing Iranian behavior,” Vice Admiral Brad Cooper was quoted as saying.
12 January 2023
1. A Saudi Delegation Visited the Houthis in Sana’a (Yemen Days). A prominent [Yemeni] government official revealed the details of the ongoing negotiations between the government of Sana’a and Saudi Arabia to reach common understandings, stressing that the visiting Omani delegation to Sana’a is accompanied by a Saudi delegation. Mukhtar Al-Rahbi, Advisor to the Minister of Information, said in a post on Twitter, “An Omani delegation and a Saudi delegation arrived in Sana’a within the framework of a dialogue that has existed between Saudi Arabia and the Houthis for months, with Omani mediation.”
18 January 2023
1. America and the UAE Comment on the Anniversary of the Houthi Bombing of Abu Dhabi (Alkhaleej Online). Biden indicated that in close cooperation with Emirati President Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed, whom he described as a friend, “the United States will continue to support the UAE in defending itself against threats, whether from Yemen or elsewhere.” Biden pledged that “the United States will continue to support the security of the UAE and its other partners in the Middle East, including by providing the necessary military assistance.”
19 January 2023
Children Die Every Day: A Lethal Injection Spreads in Sana’a (Al Hadath). Medical sources in the capital, Sana’a, which is under the control of the Houthi militia, the Iranian arm in Yemen, revealed that a new fake medicine injection has spread in a number of pharmacies and hospitals. It is given to newborns and pregnant women and causes death…According to statistics, from January 2021 to August 2022, about 3,132 newborn deaths were recorded, and fetal deformities amounted to 618 cases.
24 January 2023
Yemeni Security Officials Thwart the Smuggling of 100 Drone Engines on Their Way to the Houthis (Al Sharq Al Awsat). Yemeni official sources said that the security services in Al-Mahra Governorate (in the east of the country) have thwarted the smuggling of 100 drone engines, which were on their way to the terrorist Houthi militia that controls the capital, Sana’a….The vice-chairman of the Yemeni government’s Consultation and Reconciliation Commission said on his Twitter account: “100 drone engines belonging to a terrorist group whose arming is prohibited by UN resolutions under Chapter Seven, were attempted to be smuggled through a land port to Yemen.”